Friday 19 May 2017

Strengths and Challenges in Communication (Blog Post #1) [Submission]


Communication is a process by which information is exchanged between individuals through a common system of symbols, signs as well as behavior. No matter what industry I am in, it is vital to be equipped with the ability to communicate effectively with both colleagues and superiors. Amongst all the channels of communications, my greatest strength in communication lies in being a good listener. In my opinion, a good listener perceives more meaning on what the other person is saying because it allows me to pay close attention to their words. Good listening skills involve the practice of active listening which allows a better understanding of the person you are speaking to, as well as being able to respond appropriately. By being a good listener, one would gain respect and trust from the speaker because they are being acknowledged verbally and their verbal messages are not neglected.

The challenges I faced in communication are picking the right medium to convey a message, being confident in my interactions with others and friendliness through communicating with peers whom I am not fond of. Based on my experience, I had trouble communicating with my colleagues through face-to-face interactions because I prefer to relay my ideas virtually as it allows me to better organize my thoughts and prevent miscommunication from happening. Furthermore, when I am speaking to a person whom I am not fond of, I tend to ignore what they are conversing about which is apparent through my body language. However, after forming a rapport to my peers, I discovered that it is best to express my thoughts appropriately so that I will not hurt the feelings of others

My resolution by the end of this course is to have a flexible and open mind. In return, this allows me to be able to accept and encourage constructive feedbacks from others and listen to a person’s point of view, rather than simply getting my message across. By opening my channels of communication, I will be able to have honest and productive conversations.

Secondly, I also aim to improve on my nonverbal communication such as body language, eye contact, and hand gestures. Sometimes during a conversation, I tend to display inappropriate body language such as slouching and folding my arms which might be misinterpreted by others.

Expectantly, by the end of this course, I hope to display an open mind and improve my non-verbal communication.    (400 words)


Classmates whose post I have read: Azziz, Syu Lynn and Sing Ying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection on Learning in the Course (Blogpost #4)

It has been a long 13 weeks since the start of interpersonal and works communication module and the journey was challenging and yet fulfilli...